sunday the 4th october cross hangliding comp confirmed

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

sunday the 4th october cross hangliding comp confirmed

Post by gary stenhouse »

well i have checked the charts to exaustion and i am now sure it will be light enough for a hg comp and a paragliding comp. may not have my 4 wheel drive.

if the wind goes to the nw then i am afraid we are stuffed and i will leave the hill and go to clough head paragliding.

you may think i am mad given the wind at the minute but i am very hopefull of flying tommorow and yes it will be post cold frontal so expect it to be pretty lively.

however if i have no word of others having any interest then i will declare wendy as the winner from last week with me and steve in joint second.

you know my number as i have texted every one with usual response of 2 replies out of 10.

no wonder people give up when the most response you get on a post is about other things not the competition.

if only we had the same hg mentality as the pg and we would have one hell of a comp.

cheers gary
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Don't be to hard

Post by ron freeman »

Gary, don't forget this comp was all forgotton about until mid September, bit late in the year now but still time.

I also think that most of our HG members that do paragliding now have gone 'SOFT' its to much effort strapping it onto the car, bit of a carry up, can't land in light winds :o

I could be working tomorrow, if not' I will be there.

p.s. due to forcast I think we should be looking for a lower site like Longknowe or Coldsmouth. 8)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
tony anderson
Mingling

Post by tony anderson »

The real problem is that all hangglider pilots are bloody students or hippies and are there for worthless they seem to just like flying for fun!!
I think it's about time they were banned .
Goodluck for tomorrow, Iam just off to burn 24 tons of finest jet a1 fuel so I may not make it tomorrow.
Tony.
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

well still hopefull just the north element may be a problem, thinking of contacting warcop to see if we can gain permision for a fly through

cheers gary
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

Do you really want to risk it you need to be sure you can glide clear.

I dont think its a lack of interest as plenty turn up on the day, not sure why they dont post though
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

been doing some thinking and done my best to ring around to get peoples thoughts. it looks pretty pointles to have a hg gathering comp tommorow as i know dave wants to go to wether fell and i would of thought steve will go with hime.

tony is working but will try, mad dog is going to take his glider out wendy is a maybe other than that not a lot of show.

so this is the rules if there is no turn out but hg flying on all different sites on the same day.

either open distance or olc 3 turn the olc will be used if the 10k min is not achieved. if the 10k open distance is achieved then we will all have to be all judged by open distance.

all has to be verified by gps but can be done on any you choose

good luck but if 4 or more turn up at xfell then things may change so for ronny you have a choice of doing a xc in the cheviots and give your students there first lesson in retreeving

cheers gary
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

Thats cleared that up then?! :roll:
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

All I can see is Chairman Stenhouse working his bollocks off to try and organise a hang Gliding comp and he is met with almost a silence. How sad but a sign of the times. Most of the hang glider pilots are too old. too busy or not interested in competition.
The real problem is that all hangglider pilots are bloody students or hippies and are there for worthless they seem to just like flying for fun!!
I think it's about time they were banned .
Goodluck for tomorrow, Iam just off to burn 24 tons of finest jet a1 fuel so I may not make it tomorrow.
Tony.
I just love Tony's quote it's class.

Hope you hang gliding lads get a day out of tomorrow
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

well at the minute a lot of west in the wind acording to xc with more nw the further south you go also xc is given a possible sw coming inas well.

so i am thinking that i may well go to xfell hartside cafe first and make my final decision from there. should be at hartside by 10.15 so not to far to go to hawes cross fell or clough head.

leaving my house at 9.00 fully loaded with hg and pg

cheers gary
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

Looks like a good day all over. PGable at Broughton or Bishop in Scotland, HG anywhere. I'm off for an early float at Broughton before work ....... have fun at Cross Fell, Clough, Wether!
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Still quite windy in the Tyne Valley. Less wind further south. Might try the Radar take off later this afternoon after being an airport taxi
Attachments
productcomponentserver.gif
productcomponentserver.gif (29.09 KiB) Viewed 7956 times
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Aeros
Chatty
Full Name: Ed Cleasby

Post by Aeros »

Bit late for for what it's worth, Currently 8/8 blue and virtually no wind in the Dales where I am (Ingleton) and Ingleborough very light NW. More wind in north Lakes ..... should be OK here later.
sedit qui timiut ne non succederet
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Looking at some of the weather it recons virtually nil wind in eden valley

07824 554735
Misk
Regular

?

Post by Misk »

Who won? Broughton was superb this morning with folk over te back to Selkirk and beyond...........
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

well we got to xfell early and the wind was well off to the north and fresh we made a qick decision and decided on clough and as there was only me and wendy then we did not see the point of waiting there to get off the ground on the hg. went to clough driving through rain looked a bit breezy but we seen 2 gliders flying well and it looked very nice so short walk up then a nice boat about and almost an xc then off to beweldeth for a further evening flight. no comp but i think if we had been patient at cross fell it did get flyable later on.

cheers gary
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

Sorry to abandon the comp Gary, but my priority yesterday was to fly my new glider and I wasn't sure it was going to be on at Cross Fell. Set off from home in 25mph winds expecting the wind to be the main problem and arrived at Tailbridge to rain and no wind. Thought we were stuffed but the wind picked up a bit and by the time we were rigged it was blowing 25mph, then 5 minutes later it was 5mph again. Wasn't sure about flying in those conditions, and then it started raining again. Once that cleared through though it got very nice and we ended up with a pleasant hours boat about. Five hang gliders in total and the new glider's flying great.

Dave
GlennP
Regular

new glider

Post by GlennP »

Hope it came with a bag full of uprights!

:lol:
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Er..

Post by ron freeman »

Now now Glen :shock: until you have tried hanggliding you will soon realise that it takes a lot more skill to land a hangglider compared to your paraglider...
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

:lol: :lol: :lol:

07824 554735
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I think he's done a lot more flying than people realise including many wings with uprights. :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

alan westmoreland
Chatty
Full Name: Alan westmoreland

Post by alan westmoreland »

Sorry i missed your hang gliding comp after you had put a lot of effort into organising it and trying to get us hang glider pilots motivated...i was at the time flying my power unit in london then in france then onto spain post some photos when i can
happily flying the mosquito/wasp since 2001