Coastguard hunting Paraglider pilot in the sea on Arran

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

paolo
Mingling

Coastguard hunting Paraglider pilot in the sea on Arran

Post by paolo »

From Zabdi
Hi Guys

The coastguard have asked me to help trace if anyone might have been paragliding on Arran today 31.12.09 - They are hunting the sea around the south end following reports by the local farmer of a Paraglider landing in the water at around dusk.

The farmer should know what a paraglider looks like – their is a slim chance someone could have been flying on the North end and have been blown the length of the Island. All the local pilots have been accounted for.

If anyone knows of anyone who may be visiting Arran please could you try and contact them. If you know anything then please phone me 01770303899 -

The coastguard are still out looking at 19.20 on Hogmany!

Have a good New Year

Zabdi
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i wonder if it is a paramotor pilot as i am sure there is a few up there, the uther posibilty is a kitesurfer, as it happend to me once when someone allerted the services and did not realise i had landed on the othher side of the piers.

i will paste the message on the ppgforum

cheers gary
paolo
Mingling

false alarm raised by baloons

Post by paolo »

Hello there,

Thanks Gary for your concern and posting the message on paragliding forum. Thankfully it was only a false alarm, triggered by genuine reasons, see below link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 123251.stm

I hope you are all having a great time, is packed with snow up here absolutely gorgeous!
Fingers
Regular

Re: false alarm raised by baloons

Post by Fingers »

paolo wrote:Hello there,

Thanks Gary for your concern and posting the message on paragliding forum. Thankfully it was only a false alarm, triggered by genuine reasons, see below link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scot ... 123251.stm

I hope you are all having a great time, is packed with snow up here absolutely gorgeous!
That news is from June 09, so this must be another incident?
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
GlennP
Regular

False reporting

Post by GlennP »

These kind of things always annoy me for some reason. Maybe it s that no one appears to ask the supposed eye witness exactly what they saw.

I would wager £10 that if you asked 100 members of the public at random what a paraglider was that 90+% woulndt have a clue. So why is it that the first thing that comes into their thick heads is that it's a "paraglider".

Just the same as the local media reporting the rescue of a paraglider pilot at horden when it was a bloody fisherman who fell off some rocks.

Just like the balloon story and the microlight in the north sea that was never found.

The term paraglider is a catch all phrase for the public for anything up in the air. The media love any aviation disaster so lap this shit up despite their being no substance to the report.

Remember kids....... Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Remember...

Post by ron freeman »

Remember... if you are flying the coast and land in water and get away with it ! call the coast guard and tell them where you are and you are ok.

Maybe we should have a direct local number for the coast guard on our mobiles plus the message board for the likes of Hordon, Crimdon & Marske ? 8)

Coastal flying can be brilliant but if the wind suddenly changes it can also become very dangerous.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
paolo
Mingling

Post by paolo »

ops sorry,
Fingers you're right it was my mistake to post those news. I was looking for further news on Zabdi's message on the web regarding the possible water landing of a pilot and never even looked at the date, I just assumed was the same thing! but no, it was a different incident !!.

Paolo