What happened Sunday?

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Dave Hume
Chatty

What happened Sunday?

Post by Dave Hume »

Sunday was one of the best looking XC skies I'd seen at Model Ridge. I was gutted that I needed to be back early so couldn't even think about going anywhere, but with the wind a bit strong for paragliding I was amazed that none of the top XC hang gliders were there. I know Ali and Neil managed to get off and were away over the back within about 5 mins. How far did you get lads? I understand Gary and some others went to Tinto. Any good distances from there?

Dave
Bradleisure
Chatty

Post by Bradleisure »

I was at Tinto...

Up like a rocket with dodge gimble & down like a paving slab! :oops:

How was the air at Model?
Fly Safe & Fly Far ;)
simon
Mingling

Post by simon »

spoke to ali and he said neil did about 30k and ali did about 90k landing at pontefract because he was unsure of air space around doncaster. but he said it looked like it was a possible site record day (145k) if he had managed to find and stay in the doncaster gap. top effort none the less and well done for landing when unsure. many irresponsible pilots would have carried on regardless of air space.
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

simon wrote:spoke to ali and he said neil did about 30k and ali did about 90k landing at pontefract because he was unsure of air space around doncaster. but he said it looked like it was a possible site record day (145k) if he had managed to find and stay in the doncaster gap. top effort none the less and well done for landing when unsure. many irresponsible pilots would have carried on regardless of air space.
Brilliant flight from Ali. I think if some of the top hang gliders such as Richard Lovelace or Nick Pain or our own Steve Gill had been there it could have been a day for the ultimate site record to go which I think stands at over 200km. Having said that the new Doncaster airspace as you say makes thing a lot more difficult. Steve was gutted. I was updating him regularly with how good it was looking but it was just impossible for him to get out.

Gary, you should have been there with your hang glider......
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Never mind Model..

Post by ron freeman »

Never mind Model (big site) get Steve up to Moneylaws with a northerly wind and try breaking some of our own club site records :wink:
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

who was the hanglider pilot airlifted to hospital on sunday from model? as very sketchy to who it was but its a small sport so must be someone we know cheers gary
colin keightley
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach
Full Name: Colin Keightley

Post by colin keightley »

dont know alan didnt know him and neither did anyone else i spoke to. Looked like he landed too far back in some dirty air and mushed it in (stalled it) from what i was told.
If Acro was easy they'd call it Cross Country

07824 554735
Livetrack24: Colinkeightley
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

gary stenhouse wrote:who was the hanglider pilot airlifted to hospital on sunday from model? as very sketchy to who it was but its a small sport so must be someone we know cheers gary
It's a guy called Richard who flies an old Ace Sport, I'd met him a couple of times before at Wether and Tailbridge. I don't know if he'd hit wind shear and pushed out but sounds like he'd stalled in from about 20ft. The Air Ambulance attended as he knocked himself out for a few minutes, but as he'd come round by then and seemed okay it was decided to take him to hospital by road ambulance. He had a broken collarbone.