speed bar

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Watson
Regular

speed bar

Post by John Watson »

I would like to use my bar more, but each time I do it feels as if its going to do a full frontal, I dont know if its me just being cautious, or could it be that I have longer legs than most people?
It feels very fast when I put full bar on, more like hang gliding speed, is it safe? its an Ozone Octane. 00)
Anonymous

speed freak

Post by Anonymous »

Hi John.
it is likely that your wing will feel like its going to frontal as thats the risk you run when you use it. It reduces the angle of attack and takes away some of the stability. Thats why it is recomended that you dont use the speed bar when low to the ground and especialy in turbulent air low to the ground. Your wing is a 2. It will react fairly cranky when you get a collapse on bar. for most dhv 2 if you release the bar it will act like a 1-2. so first thing is release the bar, then deal with whatever collapse you got.
As for speed. your wing has a top speed of 45 and a trim(hands up) of 38.
if i do some complicated(for me) maths...thats an increase of 7kph, enough to make the wind through your hair(for those who still got some) feel fast but unfortunatly not as fast as the hangies. but, most of the time we sit on min sink which for your wing is about 30kph. so the increase when you move to full bar is now 15kph which feels a whole lot faster.(still not as fast as the siffies). The newer hot ships are doing 65kph with a sink of just over 2mps
When on full speed bar you should see the pulleys touch as this is full bar. You cant over do it. but I recomend you dont lock your knees straight as it takes longer to release it should you get a collapse.
Just as a note, The speed bar is not an on/off switch. you can use varying amounts dependant on conditions and requirements.
when in heavy sink. increase the bar as you dont want to spend too much time in the sink. when the sink decreases, back off the bar(unless you are going head wind). When you feel the wing start to dive forward as if its trying to pull you along, it means your about to enter a thermal so back off the bar to help avoid any collapse. It also stops you barreling straight through the thermal. Dont dump the bar and bang on min sink as this makes a rapid angle of attack change and opens you up to the risk of stall. I count to 1 after slowly releasing the bar. or 3 if i dump the bar.
The polar for your wing looks like it has a sweet spot with just a little bar on.
The faster you go. the more you sink. thats why they call it the Plumet bar.
steve
John Watson
Regular

Post by John Watson »

Thanks a lot Steve, just what I wanted. :D