Four days flying....

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

AlastairW
Regular

Four days flying....

Post by AlastairW »

Friday night.... driving over to the lakes.... miserable weather yet again, but the vague glimmer of a hope of competing in the BCC tomorrow and Sunday.

As expected Saturday dawned wet miserable and windy. So Steve Giles had the pleasure of my company for an hour, and managed to extract some cash from me in exchange for coffee and chocolate digestives... Then of to Castlerigg to meet up with Simon Raven and the Cumbrian low airtimers. Six incredibly keen pilots who despite the rain and wind had travelled from as far afield as Middlesboro and Manchester! They decided to head to the coast, being the only place there was any prospect of flying....

Ron Don had turned up by this time, and we headed of for the BCC briefing at Rheged. As anticipated Saturdays comp was canned, but with a better prospect for Sunday.

So Neil Ron Don and myself head of for the Sick and Wrong, Neil never having been there.
We left 2 hours later with Neil £1000 lighter in the pocket and sporting a harness with sleeping bag attached.... mainly cos it was "dead comfy"!
AND having blagged a night in Steves holiday flat on Keswick main Street.

Ron Don headed of home, but Neil and I thought nit was at least worth having a look at Lowca. Drove over. Wind howling.

Coffee in Whitehaven.

Back to Lowca. Still howling, but the Dales team had turned up.

Another coffee in Whitehaven.

Back to Lowca.... 7pm by now..... AND the wind had dropped.

Neil and myself spent the best part of 2 hours soaring the cliffs there, in beautifull sunshine, and lovely smooth conditions. We were joined by Gary, who also stayed over for the night...

Back to Keswick. A couple of pints and then head down for the night in Steve Giles's holiday flat. It is absolutley fantastic.... if anyone needs somewhere to stay in the lakes give Steve a ring to check if it is free. It will sleep upto six, and is very very posh.....! And very reasonable rates....

Sunday morning dawns, bright sunny, but windy in Keswick. Briefing at Rheged at 10, and the decision is made to head for Cross fell. I thought it would be blown out, but as it turned out it was the best day we have had so far this year!
The task was to fly to Appleby, 14km away.

Ron Don made it.... Bill and Neil actually flew further than required, but did not make the right turn into goal.... Chris Foster was I berlieve just about in goal.

I made 7.3km......

Ron's flying was fantastic.... he flew over my head at about 50/60ft just to the South of great Dunn |Fell, but scratched and scratched until he eventually got up. John Wallis and myself stood and watched in awe.....

I missed out on the drinks afterwards, but by all accounts a good time was had.....

Many thanks Gary for driving retrieve! very much appreciuated!

So to Monday. The sky in the morning looked epic, with lots of perfectly formed cumulus. I had actually had Monday and Tuesday pencilled in as days holidays, so I left work at lunchtime and drove to Millers leap. By this time there was about 80% cloud cover, and it didnt look to promising. Wind was bang on at about 14mph, so I took of soared the ridge, and pushed out in front to find really strong punchy thermals, only 2/3 seconds wide, with strong climbs and loads of sink as well. Not really much fun. I spent about 45 minutes soaring before deciding the best option was to land.

Susan and I stayed at the Weary Sportsman in Castle Carrock last night, and drove back to Millers leap this morning.

Again the wind was bang on, but a lot lighter. Still managed to get over onto Melmerby low scar, and soared that for a while, before deciding that in the interests of marital harmony I should go and land.... it was our 25th wedding anniversary after all!

So four days consecutive flying...... something which would have seemed impossible last week!
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Congratulations!!!!!! (handshake) (clap) (party) (rofl)
A Birthday! (^)
A milestone in matrimony! (^)
AND 4 days flying (rofl)

What more can a man want? (party) (clap) (clap) (clap)

HMMMMMM? 6 weeks holiday the week after next!!!!!!!! YE HA!!! :D :) :oops: :lol: (sun) :mrgreen: (agree) (rofl) (rofl) (rofl) (rofl) (rofl) (rofl) (rofl) (beer) (beer) (beer) (rulz) (chuckle) (chuckle) (chuckle) (clap) (clap) (clap) (mm) :beer: :[]: :lek: :))
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

well you must be doing something right with all of these pass outs. on the flying front what happens, i turn up and you get flying and by the looks of things it looks prommising at the weekend aswell. no midweek unless on a night at the moment. although i still have to see if i am up to it.

its getting harder resisting the urge and i'm starting to get it bit deppresed from the lack of stimulation, hope all changes at the weekend and it looks good for cross fell again which would be good for me
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Congratulations!!!!!!
A Birthday!
A milestone in matrimony!
AND 4 days flying

What more can a man want?
A result from our PG pilots in the BCC.............
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Jan L
Chatty

Post by Jan L »

I can better that Brian! starting this fri 7 weeks hol, 2 in the alps (sun) (smirk) :lol: jan.
Girlpower!
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Ok, beaten again, but Chris is used to that!
May your XCs be long
Your nights warm
The wine good
And the company warm and good!

Have a good one! (y)
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

the weekend and it looks good for cross fell again which would be good for me
One word from you and everything goes to pot! (mooning) (ninja)

Now the weekend looks like windsurfing on Saturday and coastal crunching on Sunday at best (n)
In future,,,, (swear) creep up on it quietly and con the wind god into thinking you're still injured. (agree)
But it's a long way away and all might change! :vilain:
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

top right hand box brian it will be sure flyable at the weekend its just a matter of where?
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Sunday XFell? (sun)
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01