Its all over now

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

MadDog
Chatty

Its all over now

Post by MadDog »

Here is the news.....That's your lot......For you comrade....your summer of indifferent flying is all over.....time to go back to hearth and home....draw the curtains....find that feather quill and green tinted ink jar......
'Twas a year of misfortune....the crops had failed....
But....you must have had your moments this year, flying wise, something that gave you that little burst of happiness, if only for a moment.....getting top of the stack.....not going down when you knew you should have...disappearing over the back for your first cross country....little things that go into this kaleidoscope that is paragliding .......
Why didn't you tell us about it?
Is it because you are pond life?
I enjoy talking to pilots better than myself......no that's wrong.....better pilots than myself...
Listen to how they flew....where they flew...why they flew as they did.....connecting the dots as they squander their precious knowledge my way.....it's good for the soul.....but no one seems to write about their flights nowadays
I would tell you about my own flights....but short flights don't make long stories....and you would probably be fast asleep even before I had landed...
And so..you take the myriad pieces of all the flying that God grants you....the nil winds and the Russian roulette that inevitably follows.....the high wind waiting....or the dragging you could have done without.... the right hill, but the Wrong Trousers....the long humps closely
followed by a top to bottom.....and why am I preaching to the converted?...
Isn't it just what we all signed up for? ........The books must balance....the scales will not lie.. and we are hooked on it.....and rehab......whoever heard of a paraglider pilot in rehab?.....does that mean even more tablets than I am already taking?
So...what am I trying to say?
That I think that there is very little good flying coming our way for the rest of the year.....but the well of enthusiasm still runs deep.....and if I can go for so long without dropping a single name then there must be some future for me yet.
Pond life rules...Ok

Going backwards in wave above the take off, at Wether Fell
Attachments
DSCF0853-001.JPG
DSCF0853-001.JPG (99.49 KiB) Viewed 16980 times
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

John if i could only right like you then i would right up my flights, however what i want to right never goes down on paper as well I want it to.
Like yesterday a short XC followed by a nice walk must get better joints as they just don't like. Then eventually getting a lift by a lovely couple that do Bee keeping and lots of honey. Followed by tha lads in the van with a hot coffee and a sandwich waiting it just does not get any better for sure. The talking bollocks is as much of the flying is its self, do a great cross country and do a self retrieve with no one to share it with. Then you will see what i mean it like you need an injection to bring you back down from the high. :D :D
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Well next Saturday might just work,,,,it's not over till the fat lady sings.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

one thing for sure the winds are so good and strong that i don't need to be constantly looking if it is flyable. so makes working so much easier knowing that i aint missing out. still we have all seen how quickly a bad forecast can come good and even if you have to drive for it :D even better when your in neils pimp waggon with a bottle of beer in one hand and your feet up, certainly made a change from the usual.
RonDon
Regular

Post by RonDon »

A day without Smile is like a day without, Kiss 8) :D
Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived. We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us ...
Gordon C
Chatty

Post by Gordon C »

Cheers John, I do enjoy reading your post, I should make it my new years Resolution write up a few lines or take up swimming, although I don't think I'll get a pond to myself as I had the Bell to myself on Saturday apart from a wave and fly pass from a sail plane.
Cheers

livetrack24 GordonC
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

John my memory fails me these days but I do remember a few flights.

The good dragging I got in the compression zone on east hill. Lesson learned - no matter how much fun you're having - never ever forget if you take your eye off the ball the wind will come and bite a huge chunk out of your big fleshy buttocks. Or in this case my forearm.

The developing dust devil spinning up like an evil gremlin that was coming to get me 50m abive as I came in to land after a little xc in Algo. Don't panic mr mannering, don't panic. And I lived to tell the tale. Lesson learned - no matter how enjoyable your flight has been so far - never ever forget there's always something else to think about lurking around the corner ready to pounce and gobble you up. And when in such shitty circumstances - and your feet touch the ground - make sure your arms are stretched up as far as an orangutang grabbing the C risers to kill the wing on landing - works a treat!

The ridge soaring flight on cross fell with all the gang that was out that day. (How's Andrew doing?) And what a great day it turned out to be. Flying for fun as if I had been born to soar the skies like Jonathon livingstone seagull himself.

Flying clough full of hope on a lovely sunny post-frontal day and taking a big collapse like it was just a flick of my wingtip. But I was still denied making it to grasmere - lesson learned - never give up - tomorrow is possible - I'll get there and beyond sometime soon.

Favourite new site in uk just has to be swinside - pushing my way around the corner on a big intergalactic xc mission in my head only to be suddenly dumped by those all powerful wind gods who dropped me like a turd into the bog below just when I thought I'd nailed it. Then walking straight back up to the top of this almost vertical hillside again to be rewarded by the returning wind gods with a good old recreational boat around this most excellent site. Skirting kirk fell and low fell before landing in a sunny meadow and basking a while in the summer sun before chilling out over a pint or two with the CSC coaching clan.

And the rest.....

It's been a quiet year for me but I loved every wonderfully awful beautiful second in the air I got.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
Trevor Robinson
Regular
Full Name: Trevor Robinson

Post by Trevor Robinson »

'Its all over now'
It was all over when I got a James Bond Aston Martin one Christmas, first ejection of the baddie saw him straight into the coal fire!
Its been downhill ever since. Flying disappointments were never as bad as that
Trevor Robinson
Regular
Full Name: Trevor Robinson

Post by Trevor Robinson »

'Its all over now'
It was all over when I got a James Bond Aston Martin one Christmas, first ejection of the baddie saw him straight into the coal fire!
Its been downhill ever since. Flying disappointments were never as bad as that
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

And,,,,,Saturday has gone to Sunday,,,,but the surf is good!
And,,,,,,Saturday was the best flying I've ever seen at Moneylaws and a coffee in Wooler at the end of the day.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01