looks like the lakes was the place to be today

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

looks like the lakes was the place to be today

Post by gary stenhouse »

some nice open distance flights done from souter fell from steve etherington and martian sandwich over the side to corner of carock sandbeda then on from ther looked nice flights
milleboy
Chatty

Post by milleboy »

Think it was very windy, so not everybodies cup of tea!
gary stenhouse
Superstar

Post by gary stenhouse »

that be why his groung speed was up to 90kph i thought it might of been a mistake but looks like it wasnt.
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

It was very windy! Just look at their down wind speeds 90k's plus.

Looking at the route they took it looks as if they have both flown through the 'no fly zone' have placed around the 'angry farmers' farm at Mungrisdale. This zone is there because he gets very upset if we fly over his farm and due to him being the farmer who farms Souther, causes me no end of problems. So its a nice trip for me today to see him and keep him happy.

So many pilots fly for themselves and have no concern or care what chaos they leave in their wake and its down to people like myself to end up clearing up after their actions. Please guys do not go down this distance or bust type of flying but have some consideration for the area you fly and the farmers / site officers and others who give and arrange permission for us all to conduct our sport with so much freedom. Every XC you do should be planned as much as posable and not just a 'luck of the draw' 'seat of the pants type experience'.

So Gary did you infringe the no fly zone on Saturday? and if so why? Also the flight you had a few weeks ago south form Cross Fell seemed that you landed very close to the air space around Warcop. If you had height would you of kept going and ignored this?
MadDog
Chatty

Post by MadDog »

Please tell us more about the this defined area of no flying...Can you go through it above certain height?....Can you soar the hill there?....Where exactly is it.....Why is it a no-go area?...When did you last see your father?....can you post a Map?
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Mad Dog read the link below

http://www.cumbriasoaringclub.co.uk/sit ... x.php?id=8

The whole site guide for the Lakes is

http://www.cumbriasoaringclub.co.uk/

Of course you would have read the site rules before you flew on Saturday so you've probably read this anyway :sor:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar

go on the ordnance survey and use the serch

Post by gary stenhouse »

Souther Fell SE-ESE
Grid Ref: NY355291 Height ASL: 1700' / 519 m
Site Code: 17.015 Top to bottom: 950' / 290 m

IMPORTANT - Restrictions on use
This site is EXTREMELY SENSITIVE! WITHOUT EXPRESS LANDING PERMISSION FROM LOW BECKSIDE FARM THE ONLY OPTION IS TO SIDE OR TOP LAND. LOW BECKSIDE FARM WILL, WHERE POSSIBLE, PROVIDE SUITABLE LANDING FIELDS FOR PG AND HG PILOTS. THE DEFINED LANDING FIELD MUST BE IDENTIFIED BY USE OF THE CSC WINDSOCK OBTAINED FROM LOW BECKSIDE FARM. It is imperative that visiting pilots DO NOT FLY this site without first contacting the North Sites Officer. It has taken a lot of work to get this site back - it was very nearly lost for good. Please restrict numbers (5 to 10 as an ABSOLUTE maximum). DO NOT LAND in any areas heading towards Carrock Fell - this WILL lose the site. An exclusion zone (up to 3000ft agl exists around a 1km radius of Undercrag Farm NY 363308). Contact North Sites Officer for more information (07739260124).

General Information
An excellent site, renowned, like its neighbour Carrock, for light winds. It can be quite a carry but is well worth it as it thermals well. Wave and convergence are occasionally found at the south end. It is also possible to launch from the south end to fly Blencathra in SSE winds; VERY spectacular.
Paragliding: Easy top landing and slope landing, if bracken areas are avoided. Be wary of penetration problems in strong winds, being blown back could be worrying in the extreme!
Hang Gliding: Apart from the carry, a site with no vices. Easy top landing by crabbing in along the ridge (Do not go behind the ridge). Suitable for low air time pilots after a suitable briefing.
Additional safety notes: Beware of rollover behind the ridge.Under no circumstances allow yourself to get blown back - the terrain behind take off is dangerous! Use windsock in the bottom fields.Take care not to land short, which is easy to do. Public telephone at Mungrisedale.

Practical information
Click here for map. (external link to multimap.com).
Approximate position of the site marked by red circle. Scale is 1:50,000 with the facility to zoom in/out. Close window to return to this page.
Getting there: Turn off the A66(T)Penrith to Keswick main road following signs to Mungrisedale. Follow minor road to Mungrisedale, then double back to follow a tarmac road (past a good pub) through a gate. Various, but limited, parking places in laybys along this road.Do not block any farm or field access points.
Getting to takeoff: A path leads diagonally across the face of the slope from NE to SW.
XC potential: Good thermal producer, and quite easy to get away, but the sea is only about 35 km downwind. Possible to cross to Carrock Fell if wind is off to the East, or onto Blencathra if off to South.
Permission to use site: For a bottom landing field; Low Beckside Farm, Mungrisedale (WINDSOCK SCHEME IN OPERATION).To use the site; Black Beck Farm.
Misk
Regular

OPEN SITES GUIDE

Post by Misk »

Another strong case for an open sites guide for the NHPC?
MadDog
Chatty

Post by MadDog »

Got to admit to great sin on Saturday then...But much wiser now....promise never to do it again...
3000 ft above that farm kinda puts flying either north from Souter, or south from Carrock a no go.....Looks like I'll have to rejoin the Friends of Blackhall Collery again!
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Read the site guide

Post by ron freeman »

Read the site guide simple ! and read your up to date air map chart thats if you have got one... and how would an open sites guide stop this sort of thing happening... Cumbria's guide is open and still the rules are broken.

I get very pi..ed off when you read this sort of stuff every year, there is so much taken for granted !!!
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

and how would an open sites guide stop this sort of thing happening... Cumbria's guide is open and still the rules are broken.
Yeah but at least the Cumbrians have done as much as possible to stop this happening by putting it live and up to date on the WWW. If visiting pilots don't check site rules they should be fined or banned or made to buy the drinks for the Northumbrians for one night....That should make them think in the future.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Great idea John.

Mines a pint Mad Dog and Gary next time I see you! :beer:
chrisfozz
Regular
Full Name: chris foster

exclusion zone

Post by chrisfozz »

the track log is from one of saterday's better xc's, obviusly borderline on the exclusion zone, my map calibration may be a bit suspect. hope this is of help.
chris
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

A quick site history of Souther, hopefully explaining why it is so........

A number of years ago the Tenant farm on Souther changed from Blake Beck Farm to Ernie Wilson at Under Crag. Just as this happened we had a BPC round in the Lakes and needed Souther as a site. I followed the old procedure gaining consent with Blake Beck Farm and then contacting the Land Owner who lives at the foot of the hill. The next day 60+ gliders launch off Souther on a classic day, a most beautiful sight unless you are Mr Wilson. Some not such hot pilots did not fly very far and landed in a number of Mr Wilson's fields, escalating the situation 10 fold. He went 'nuts' and wanted us banned from Souther and everywhere else. I started delicate negotiations with Mr Wilson and after a number of visits and taking quite a bit of 'flack' to say the least I started to get him to accept us again, all be it with strict rules. At this point I also discovered he was chairman of the Mungrisdale/Blencathra and Bassenthwaite Commoners who look after all the ground from Souther to Bassenthwaite including Skiddaw. He was already trying to get restrictions placed on us on other sites (Blease) e.t.c. So it was imperative to keep him 'on side'.

To cut a long story short, we got Souther back with the current restrictions. All was well for a few years and then one day a guy tried to fly XC from Carrock and ended low scratching the hill just above Under Crags Farm. Mr Wilson was in his pens with his cattle who got freaked by the Glider and started to try and jump out of their pens. I am sure you can imaging his reaction........At this point Rob Grange came round the corner on his way to Carrock to be confronted by a very irate Mr Wilson in the middle of the road screaming at the Paraglider happily scratching about 100ft above. Mr Wilson spotted the huge Paragliding School sign on Rob's van a collard him. Although just a threat he was going to go and get his shot gun if the guy did not F*@!£ Off and scare him away. The pilot would of been fully aware of the chaos but chose to leave the scene at this point and death glide off towards Souther. So again I found myself at Mr Wilson getting my ears bent for a good half an hour before I managed to get a word in. However after much negotiation and promising Mr Wilson I would implement a no fly zone above his farm the situation was dealt with and resolved, yet again.

So there you have it, the hill behind Under Crag farm (Raven Crags) is just to inviting to soar if you are low between Carrock and Souther. If it is flown Mr Wilson will be understandably upset so that is why we have a no fly zone. It is not set in stone (boundary wise) but is there combined with pilots using common sense and being hopefully aware of how delicate the situation to hopefully prevent any more future problems.

There is a lot of history behind the CSC sites both good and bad and that is why we have a few rules. So please guys can this be the last time I have to write an essay yet again explaining the same old story.