The X Factor

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Is the 3x 2x 1.5x Factor a bit silly?

The X Factor is right, fair and proper
63%
The X Factor needs a big shake up
13%
The X Factor is a right noncence
25%

Total votes: 16

Fingers
Regular

The X Factor

Post by Fingers »

This was given x3

http://www.pgcomps.org.uk/xcleague/xc/v ... -2446-2363

To give 51.9 POINTS

Yet this flight

http://www.pgcomps.org.uk/xcleague/xc/v ... -2377-2326

Only gets 46.2

Is the 3x 2x 1.5x Factor a bit silly?
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Spot on Steve

Post by ron freeman »

Flying down wind using thermal & ridge lift is good fun but doing a triangle can be very hard work. (into wind stuff) The points reflect the task.

Have a go ! and then tell me what you think, but at the end of the day its the same for everyone... 00)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
myerscouse
Chatty

Post by myerscouse »

IM with you steve i think the open distants flight is for more of an achevement than doing an ethrington as its come to be called
Misk
Regular

?

Post by Misk »

Steve

If you feel there is an injustice you can write to the guys running the NXCL and ask for their reasoning. They are able to tell you what percentage of the flight is thermal and what is glide etc. It is not just one fella but a panel of experienced pilots running the league.

Sailplanes, hang gliders and paragliders have evolved their task setting and XC skills from initially stay up as long as you can, round pylons, flour bombing targets to open XC, flight to goal, and ultimately defined flights such as round waypoints, O&R or triangles. Defined flights is where the rest of the world is going so why should the Northumbrian's take a backwards step? I've always thought that club XC leagues and comps should be a lead in to the national and international way of doing things. The club has for years rewarded defined flights in our leagues - to take a backwards step and remove this type of skill would be a bad move?

Ultimately the comps officer should run the leagues broadly as the members wish.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

IM with you steve i think the open distants flight is for more of an achevement than doing an ethrington as its come to be called
Not so sure about that Mr Scouser a decent size defined task is much harder to do than open XC in my opinion.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i know how some of the early flights look on the nat xc on tringles and out and return and at the moment in the winter league they look like they give the biggest distance. however have a look at what ended up happening on the whole tear and you will see that there was no one doing big triangle or out and returns as they are obviously a lot more dificult to achieve on a paraglider. yet on open distance it seems can be in some parts of the country quite easy. for me at the moment it would be great to pull off a big open distance but even better to pull 30 declared triangle x3.5 to give the same as over 100k xc. the one thing that i will gladly wager on is i will do a big open distance befor i do the big proper out and return and triangle. the problem we have in the cheviots and the lakes is that we very rarely get the big distances especialy in summer although we do get some great flying, we our unlikely to beet the southerners on distance using our hills. this is why if you our hungry and want to be the best you will need to travel. not only that its just such good fun taken off and not quite knowing where you are going to end up.

great fun but be prepared for lots of frustration and lots of walking.