New Coastal Site

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Chris L
Regular

New Coastal Site

Post by Chris L »

Flew King Edwards Bay at Tynemouth tonight - with backdrop of the priory - great urban flying - see photos - joined by Ron Freeman
First time this has been flown :home:
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Check your camera setting Chris, all the photos of late look very very dark... Some setting in the camera I would say....

To think you picked up a £50 cheque at the last meet for a photo comp these are very poor show....

Has that been cashed? is it to late to stop it Andrew?

Flying looked crap as well, :dealer: :D :love: first to fly? Bold words indeed maybe some of the elders can stomp your ego down on that one also. 00)

By the way, have you seen my photo from Annecy, the one from 9449ft

http://www.custodiancomputers.co.uk/annecypano-2.jpg

I have more you know!

:love:
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Have you not seen mine Steve???

10,380ft above Chamonix.......

That would be 1000ft above you??

http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/profile.php ... ofile&u=13

:devil:
:D :D :D :D :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

!0,000ft Alps

Post by ron freeman »

Take off in the Alps and fly in a straight line and you will get to cloudbase on a good day :)) the flying was brilliant tonight, and I've not heard of anyone else PG this site, I do think its a first... 00)
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

It wasnt quite a straight line.....

But your absolutley right Ronnie, getting to 10k in the Alps is a piece of piss.

Now 10k over East Hill.....

:D
Only 9,500ft to go Misk.....

:D :D
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Lets not split hairs here but its 931 feet Ali :D and you still owe me a pint for getting to base, remember? :8: I also cant find this flight of yours?

Ron I feel humbled that someone of your experience thinks that I TO and just fly straight to base :) Joking aside it looked like a radical bit of flying, and as we have all just learned from this posting envy does not bring the best out of people. :) and my sometimes close to the knuckle humour can loose translation and be very easy miss read.

7.5 ups (on the averager), taking collapses one of them very big, getting bounced about big style, flying low compared to others over water!, low over ridges and trees, nearly bombing out in some remote village, low saves, trying to keep in a group, realising you have no water on board, realising you have no phone!, no biscuits, no lights, no cup for your coffee, no mars bars, no map.......................The devil may care, but I certainly did not.

Piss easy maybe for someone with a little more experience than the near 0 that I have.

Considering the 100+ at TO it was not crowded at that height once I did get up there.
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Steve.... 22/7/06 from Chamonix Brevant t/o.......

and it was only 10,299ft.....

But your post sums up the pleasure i get from flying...... Strong climbs, where you are having to concentrate 100% to stay in the thermal, low saves, where you have picked your landing field, swearing to your self, then Yeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss....... back up to cloudbase, flying with a group of people, all with the same goal...... Magic!

And as for the coffee cup.. I think they saw you lot coming...... I have never had problems getting a coffee in a proper cup in France...... "ahh ze crazy Eenglish pilots.... letz pretend we dont have cups today....."

:D :D
Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

I would keep these little "in the middle of a town" sites quiet if I were you. I dont think that they are particularly that clever and you may find local councils/police having a closer interest if it becomes regular i.e. distracting motorists etc. We get this problem at Saltburn quite a bit and you dont get as close there. I feel it's stretching the "ah well were ridge soaring so we are exempt the 500' rule" a bit. The CAA may take a slightly dim view of it although I know it's a grey area!
Just quietly and very carefully does it is all im saying wouldn't want a dragging across the main road appearing on Look North!!
Cheers(Standing by to be shot down!!)
Mike
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Ah yes indeed I now see it!!

http://www.nhpc.org.uk/nhpc/modules.php ... ightID=773

very very nice, But surly the important one is

Yours = Altitude gain 1096 m (3594 ft)

Mine = Altitude gain 1901 m (6235 ft)

But I will say no more as the Old Dog piped me by 8 m!!! Or did I just want to keep him happy? :)

The Dog = Altitude gain 1909 m (6261 ft)

Magic sums it up, I wish I had broke the 10k. 5 figures being better than 4
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

Ooooooh!

Getting bitchy now........ :D :D

I will concede that there is a little help given by the fact that the Brevant take off is at 2000m........!

Still an amazing place to fly, although the valley wind in Chamonix can be vicious in the afternoon. And the field directly behind the landing field is full of trees......

Although of course I never had that prob as i flew across the back to Plain Joux... :D :D :D :D :D
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

That's nowt I was 450 feet above Man at Edge at the week-end :lek: :lek: :dealer:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
AlastairW
Regular

Post by AlastairW »

God your getting desperate John...... :D :D