Flytec 5020/Competino Vario GPS

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

John Wallis
Seasoned

Flytec 5020/Competino Vario GPS

Post by John Wallis »

Anyone out there using the serial to USB connector for uploading flights from the GPS?? I have no problems using the kids older PC which has a serial port. But using my own with the above connector I just can't get it to see the GPS. Followed the instructions to the letter and tried my own way too but nope.

Any help would be cool as the Kids move out soon and the PC is going with them (headbang)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

John you need a CD driver with this so it can locate the the USB port connection. I ended up getting one from Maplins - Newlink USB Serial Adaptor complete with CD to do this. Did the trick (y) (handshake)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Got the driver on the CD supplied Chris just starting to wonder if the serial to USB is dodgy I might go to Maplins and get one if it's worked for you.

Cheers

JW
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Mikey
Mingling

Post by Mikey »

Some serial to USB drivers can be very dodgy - particularly the cable type.

I was setting up a point of sale system where the card swip reader was serial yet the computer had USB. I kind of got it to work but the USB to serial cable was no good. I eventually ended up getting the belkin standalone box:

http://www.add2it.co.uk/product_info.ph ... cts_id=727

This worked OK, but it was still a little bit painful.
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

If you have the drivers installed then you should see the port in the "device manager". I dont have this setup but I believe it emulates as a com port, if not it will be in the list of USB controllers.

This should tell you what number com port it has, and this is what you need to know as most GPS software will only search the com 1 and 2 ports. Your device might be on any thing form com 1 to 20.

In short find the com port and setup your software manualy to that port.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Been in the device driver Steve. It's there and it tells me com 3. It all appears to be working until you ask it to do something then It won't work.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

I guess another lead would be the next port of call John. If you can try someone elses lead on your PC this might save you buying something you dont need, as the prob could be your PC?

Try
dif USB slots
dif GPS software
dif lead

If it still aint having it!

Has you GPS got a problem with that sort of setup?

Or has you PC?

Ah the joy of computers.........
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
bill-scott
BHPA Club Coach
BHPA Club Coach

Post by bill-scott »

SPEAK ENGLISH :x
I HATE COMPUTERS
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Bill be quiet we are speaking English :dealer: Vorsprung durch technique.....As they say in Ovingham

dif USB slots - Tried
dif GPS software - Tried 3 different programs
dif lead - Going to get the same as Chris Little (From Maplins) as he has the same vario as me and it works for him :roll:

Thanks for that link Mikey I would have to do a big XC to justify paying that price (chuckle)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

dave-mclaughlin
Chatty

Post by dave-mclaughlin »

USB to Serial adapters are renowned in tech-support land for being a right pain in the (mooning)

I use them all the time at work for fiddling with microcode and firmware updates etc.

Best one I've come across by far is one from keyspan. See:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyspan-High-Sp ... B000067TGW

One of the customer reviews even says "it works fine with my Garmin GPS, which is easily the most tetchy peripheral I've ever discovered"
Dave McLaughlin
Homo Sapiens Non Urinat In Ventum
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Thanks for that Dave
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

Martin A
Mingling

Post by Martin A »

John I also got the one from maplins and it worked for me no probs, even though I haven't got a clue what I am doing.Hope you get sorted.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Flytec 5020 Down Load

Post by John Wallis »

For anyone who is interested I've got this sussed tonight.

After installation of the software and the serial/USB lead go to START > CONTROL PANEL > PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE > SYSTEM > HARDWARE > DEVICE MANAGER > CLICK ON PORTS > FIND THE SOFTWARE YOU'VE INSTALLED AND DOUBLE CLICK IT > CLICK PORT SETTINGS > THEN ADVANCED > SET THE COM PORT NUMBER TO 1 EXIT RIGHT OUT.

Re boot the PC connect the GPS as you would normally showing the flight analysis. In either GPS Dump or Comp GPS find the menu to set the Com port then set it to Com 1

And it works (party) (party)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis