Club Comp and an idea's for next event!

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Chris L
Regular

Club Comp and an idea's for next event!

Post by Chris L »

I really enjoyed the comp this weekend not just because as Gary claims I could run parts of it – nearly impossible with a pack weighing 20kg! but because I had the opportunity to fly more than I would normally from different take offs including going XC over new terrain in conditions that I wouldn’t have even thought about doing so normally. 8)

This is what happened to me –

At High Cap take off couldn’t get any decent height because of the inversion but tried a few times and ended up slope landing near the bottom and having to walk back up :x
Decided once I got back up to the highest point I’d reached earlier I’d glide to Man at Edge.
2-3 others had made it across but were all decked. Paul was away by this point and Gary was just leaving. Got in a few beats but not enough to jump back – so slope landed and walked toward Muska Hill. Through a gate and up a rising before Muska - smack into wind with some thermals coming through. Watched Gary land next too Ali Wolf on Muska Hill and the two of them attempt to get off in the thermals Gary did and Ali went down and was near the top again when I took off in a thermal and flew over his head waving gleefully :lol:
I flew around the side then edged in behind, heading to the next hill facing into the sun with a scree covered slope. Classic thermal trigger – but nowt doing, so landed as close to the top as I could. Wrapped my wing around the only thorn bush and spent 15 mins trying to extract it (headbang) Again waited for a light thermal to come through and launched off to get a nice glide toward the North end of Melmerby Bowl. Skimming over gullies a couple of fences and a wall and just avoiding a field with a large bull
Gary had now spotted me and was trying to talk me to death on the radio, blahh, blahh this, blahh blahh that. :Bore: Keep asking him questions distract him, slow him down but I was onto you my son I packed up my glider and decided to climb up towards Melmerby Low Scar where I now had a visual on Gary, a good 200 metres higher and with a half hour lead on me. (very impressive for someone who couldn’t walk 5 month ago – hats off to you for getting up there as quick as you did) (dance) Off I stomped (not running) following Gary. Then I heard Kay on the radio just landing close to where I’d taken off. We both agreed we were having a great time even though Kay was ‘sad to admit it’ We were both suffering after forgetting to bring along any water, and Kay scoffing a bag of Crisps then had to fly down to the pub at Melmerby (beer) (which was shut) :cry:
I reached the small crag at the top of Melmerby Bowl just as Gary took off, he was just maintaining height while I got my kit sorted out but he then managed to get a couple hundred feet above but didn’t jump over the back and ended up on the deck again as the wind dropped off at the same time I tried to take off. Gary got off quickly as soon as it picked up again and disappeared from view. I launched got a few beats up and down the escarpment while a walker took some pictures, and I posed with a wave as I flew over his head. God you feel good at times like that 8)
Thought I’d better get after Gary and chase him down for 2nd place egg cup so I flew East looking for Gary – I spotted him heading toward the ridge running along the road, I could see it wasn’t working so decided to head straight over the back directly to the aerial. I past by Millers leap lower down the ridge on a suicide glide, flying over the hummocks along the way and landed with a clear view of the aerial to secure 2nd place victory (speech prepared following Paul at the presentation night) (party)
Walked to the road and hitched a lift from the first car passing by to a locked up Shepherds Inn at Melmerby to be joined by the rest for a drink at opening time and the end of a brilliant day (y)

I’ve got a suggestion for those who have read this far – based on the X-Alps style challenge why don’t we set a XC/hiking route (say from Cross Fell to Castle Carrock Pub) or similar elsewhere (eg Money Laws to East Hill) or any other suggested routes and see who can do it in the fastest time over the summer season and winter season. :idea:
You can select any weekend to have a go but need to inform the comps officer and register the attempt and record this on a gps and have some support/retrieve in place.
I’m happy to do/help with organisation or have a crack at a suggested route, if anyone’s interested.
:?: :?:
Misk
Regular

Vol slog.......

Post by Misk »

I'd say - interesting experiment but keep it seperate from the Club Comp so all can compete on an equal footing.

It 'inspired' a similar effort on Sunday when Matt returned north and relit old Scottish plans.

Some interesting reading here.......
http://groups.google.com/group/LLSC?lnk=gschg
for those interested in this format - team up with the Scotts and make it something special? Or have a seperate do in the Cheviots but for this sort of event the more competitors the better for the crack and also safety?

Anyone can register with google groups if you want to drop them a line.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

I’ve got a suggestion for those who have read this far – based on the X-Alps style challenge why don’t we set a XC/hiking route (say from Cross Fell to Castle Carrock Pub) or similar elsewhere (eg Money Laws to East Hill) or any other suggested
The X Cheviot challenge never happened did it Chris. I think mainly due to the lack of northerlies at the time it was brought up. Then when we did get the right direction people went to Model Ridge.(Can't blame them) The idea's great just don't know if we have the interest. I still fancy Moneylaws to Alwinton would be the boy. But as you say you could do it on just about any site.
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

X Cumbria

Post by Kitt Rudd »

A similar idea has been voiced on this side of the country.
A loose plan was along the lines of th x Alps ie set turnpoints. Starting at Black Combe via Skiddaw the Hellvellyn before heading out to Hawes.
Of course there is a number of logistical issues to resolve but as I see it as long as we get a run of roughly westerly airflow it could be completed within a long weekend.
Any one interested.
Kitt
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
myerscouse
Chatty

Post by myerscouse »

The more i read the more fesable this sounds. I've a feeling this could become a big event and, i think i know just the right format for it.
How about on say the August bank holiday weekend (or another )we have a joint northumberland -cumbrian coast to coast challange say St Bee's to Bambourgh or the other way round depending on the wind direction literally XC .
What Do You Think ?
Fingers
Regular

Post by Fingers »

Oh yeah this sounds just like a similar challenge I have been mulling over.

Getting naked, scalding ones arse and back with boiling fat, getting sprayed with essence of "oh de sheep".

Then.

The one who can stop in the pen with the two horny tups who are also waring sand paper waist coats the longest is the winner.

For those hell bent on walking, we could add in a 50 mile hike and make it a triathlon.
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
Mike Brown
Regular

Post by Mike Brown »

(rofl) (rofl) (rofl) (clap) (clap) Brilliant Steve!! Made my morning!
I'll be "Tupp" for your version! I'll just need to find me wellies!!
Cheers
Chief Tosser
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Some of you may be aware I have been planning an event likes this i.e. The X Lakes, for some time now. I had wanted to keep it quite until all the arrangements had been made and I was sure the event would go ahead, how ever after noting current discussion by yourselves and our Scottish friend now is the time to announce my plan.

At around the beginning of July next year (when day light hours are at a there longest) the CSC will host a sprint version of the X Alps. The start will be Keswick Fitz Park at around 6 a.m. on a Saturday, up to a launch / turn point on Walla or CatBells, down/up to Scafell Pike across to Helvelyn Up to Skiddaw and then hopefully fly back into the park. Distance as the crow flies approx 45k.m. Fast folks could do it in around 12hrs slow ones have all weekend.

I have thought this plan out and a circular route with marshals on set turn point/ refueling stations is the safest and most practical way to go. To have an open xc type event would lead to pilots being all over the place and no continuity. Also the route does not want to be to ambitious and therefore appealing to more pilots.

The bottom line is there is a lot of talk about somebody doing this type of event but we need to make it happen. The CSC and myself have proved we can organize big events and have the logistics to do so, marquess e.t.c. I feel there is only room for one event like this on the U.K.'s paragliding scene per year and it is therefore crucial that if some body is going to organize it then they do so and make it happen. I personally think the CSC have a great workable plan that would provide a superb event in an appropriate location with the logistics to cope with the number of possible entries. We would also as every do it to raise money for charity through entry fees and collections.

In future years different clubs host the event and try different locations around the country. So what do you think? Should the CSC do it or do you want to be the first??? The time is now to stop talking and start doing!
Chris L
Regular

Post by Chris L »

Gordie, sounds like a brilliant event and the lakes has got to be the premier league of venues (y)
I'll be happy to help, as long as I can take part as well 8)
Kay
Chatty

Post by Kay »

(rulz) Count in The Myerscousers Too (rulz)

Happy to Help with organization and Compete
30m Breaststroke
Cookery MVQ level 1
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Sounds an absolutely brilliant idea Gordie - count me in too, and I'll help as well :D :D
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Getting naked, scalding ones arse and back with boiling fat, getting sprayed with essence of "oh de sheep".

Then.

The one who can stop in the pen with the two horny tups who are also waring sand paper waist coats the longest is the winner.
some of you may be aware I have been planning an event likes this i.e. The X Lakes, for some time now. I had wanted to keep it quite
Are we all coming out of the closet this weekend? :lol:

Hi, my names Brian and I ,,,,,,,,,,,,,travel in the 'Happy Bus' (F) (F)

Hope there's a good handicap for the 'Masters' comp! The heart is willing, but the body is struggling a bit at the moment, but I'm sure with a little tender care and attention it can be coaxed into something. Is someone going to sponsor me with some Very Light kit please?
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01