Which way to turn?

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

brian day
Regular

Which way to turn?

Post by brian day »

I’m sat looking at a map, wondering what was happening and wondering how you actually build up to the prospects of a flight into the wilderness? My drift was taking me from Humbleton, or somewhere near by, in an ene – wsw direction. Sitting above the Bell, the clouds were disappearing to the sse over the top of Cheviot. I know the upper winds were forecast to remain in nw.
But here, the dilemma, fly off to the wsw or take the clouds direction to the sse? Base was at about 3500ft which didn’t give a great deal of clearance over Cheviot. Trouble was,,,,my bottle! That’s one hell of a long way over an awful lot of nothing in either direction and looking at the map just confirms my thoughts. The other pilot with me turned and ran back to the hill, sitting lonely and looking at the prospects, I’m afraid I did the same.
I bottled out and I’m annoyed and frustrated. How do I prepare my mind for something like that, what decisions would you have made?
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
Misk
Regular

Post by Misk »

Hard to say without being there! The main thing is that you were both having a half decent flight in the Cheviots you lucky buggers!

How far your prepared to walk is up to the individual on the day but obviously make sure you've got the kit to walk for a couple of hours and any food and water you might want.

Was it low base and poor prospects downwind (not much terrain clearance)? For me flying PG XC is all about NOT LANDING,rarely do I think about racing around. I would usually advise you to fly in lift so it sound like I would have followed the sky until the will to fly got beaten by the determination not to walk too far. It sounds like there may have been a bit of convergence causing that SSE line perhaps? - follow it! From 3500' on a PG in the UK you are only minutes from landing so just stay in lift and only leave it if you really have a better idea. So many people spend months trying to get high then make it to cloudbase only to immediately leave, get drilled and land - hang around relax and enjoy it. Take pictures then you can remind me what its like up there.
:evil:
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Brian you don't want to worry too much about crossing the Cheviots especially on a paraglider because there's a lot more small roads and tracks than you would believe. From the North side (Say the Bell) one decent climb should get you onto Cheviot where you can top up your height. Be careful of the wind increasing as I've been caught out there. If you decide to give up there you can reach a track/road without much bother. Once over Cheviot there's roads and tracks you can usually make but you can get drilled in the lee of Cheviot. Really if you do get decked just pack up and turn it into a days walking in the hills (y)

Ian Miskin said
For me flying PG XC is all about NOT LANDING,rarely do I think about racing around
This is my problem it sapps too much of my energy just drifting with the cloud. How some of these guys fly for 6 hours on long XCs is out of my reach. What do you guys do for energy when you're up for extended periods? Maybe I just need to get more fit?

Could be a good thread Brian if people take part
Last edited by John Wallis on Mon May 11, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Jim Bittlestone
Regular

Post by Jim Bittlestone »

I bottled out and I’m annoyed and frustrated. How do I prepare my mind for something like that, what decisions would you have made?
It sound like you made the right decision Brian, not bottled out.
If it's on, it's on, if it's not, don't lose sleep.
There are times when thses decisions have to be made, like whether to cross that snowbridge over a crevasse late in the day, whether to do a long open crossing at sea with a forecast or current against you.
You make a judgement based on what you can see on the day, how it feels and how confident you are at the time.
Without being there, hard to say but sounds like clouds low over Cheviot, complicated weather, unknown terrain. At least one other guy agreed with you.
...Or you're turning into a raving mincer that needs to step down a wing or two and start wearing a pink jumpsuit like us newbies. I've got just the shade in mind. Come and join us :D :D
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

The Cheviot itself

Post by ron freeman »

Going XC over or around the Cheviot is not a problem as long as you have planned your XC before taking off ! this is a must to safely fly over the top of Cheviot.

I would recommend at least 5,000ft asl cloud base, this height will give extra insurance in case of bad sink.

With a lower cloud base you can fly along the ridge system (n.west) it should be possible to ridge hop down to Carter bar or go over the back onc'e you have cleared the Cheviot !

Remember the firing ranges onc'e past Windy Gyle don't go over the back !
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
Dave Hume
Chatty

Re: The Cheviot itself

Post by Dave Hume »

ron freeman wrote:Going XC over or around the Cheviot is not a problem as long as you have planned your XC before taking off ! this is a must to safely fly over the top of Cheviot.
...and thereby hangs the problem. Nobody expects to go XC in the Cheviots, so they don't plan it....
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

...and thereby hangs the problem. Nobody expects to go XC in the Cheviots, so they don't plan it....
Dave that's a disgraceful posting (angel)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”