Millau Magic Day 1

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Colin Chapman
Mingling

Millau Magic Day 1

Post by Colin Chapman »

Arriving at millau around 1 we were welcomed by a multitude of gliders at the local site Puncho so it was a quick check in at the campsite, dump off the excess baggage and then off to take off. BTW this was only 10mins away with parking at the top!
Like most good French sites the take off accomodated pilots in every respect with big grass TO's to the S & SW and also HG ramps for minority flyers.
By 2pm we were 3grand above TO and experiancing some epic conditions, in fact I almost forgot how thermic it gets outside our uk boundrys and the cracking conditions we had only a week ago at xfell seemd tame in comparison!
Not being versed on the site fully I kept the landing field firmly in my sights and got some well needed practice in full on thermic conditions like these which I assumed would be needed in the coming days ahead. 
As I circled with dozens of pilots I could hear the radio confirming my comrades landing one by one and the offer of bear was temptiing me down. So I headed out of lift far into the valley and eventually Newton had his way and I was approaching the huge landing field that could almost accomodate a small aircraft, however around 300ft I was greeted by a cracking thermal that was too good to miss and very soon was back upto TO and then cloudbase. 
Two hours had passed it had been a long day and I could now taste the beer so this time it was search for sink so I put in my order with andrew at the bar and 10 mins later I was back on Terra firma swapping stories with the gang. 
Grabbing a takeaway pizza we headed back to the campsite where we watched the gliders late into the evening and contemplated tomorrows flying. 
A great introduction to millau and better than we ever expected :)

Stay tuned x
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Woody
Mingling

Post by Woody »

Sounds great Colin. Hope you all get more of the same. Take plenty of photos for us back in Blighty.

Woody
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Good write Colin

Post by ron freeman »

Good write up Colin, don't fly too far there a big day ahead just around the corner... :wink:
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
myerscouse
Chatty

Post by myerscouse »

Its raining here :???:
Impress Yours Friends With A Friend Impressor