Pilot Task

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Gordon C
Chatty

Pilot Task

Post by Gordon C »

My BHPA pilot task book arrived today, is anyone interested in getting together to cross a task or two off, the 3 take offs and landings in winds of less than 5 mph, is one that the more out the merrier may make it fell less of a chore, the 5 target landings could have a pint on it, fingers crossed cheers
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Great shout Gordon! We fledglings need many tasks signed off in the pilot task book in order to become pilot

In addition to the 3 take offs and landings in winds of less than 5mph (ie forward launches) we also need sign off for

2 top landings
Flights from 5 different sites 3 of which need to be inland
3 flights over 1 hour duration
Min of 50 flights logged
25 hrs logged

Plus

5 controlled landings in a designated area from flights over 3mins duration - within a 10m radius
Safely demonstrate slow flight awareness and discuss symptoms and dangers of doing so without actually stalling :I
360s in both directions
3 thermals exceeding 1000ft
Pass written exam
Fly in company of others safely and competently in line with Rules of Air and good airmanship
Demonstrate correct attitude to a flying career

And

Discuss and explain actions for asymmetric tuck and over countering
Discuss and explain techniques for avoiding and recovering from stalls and spins and emergency decent B line stall and spiral dive

Phew that's quite a list and a long way to go yet but it needs to be done for pilot qualification. Any volunteers to signs log book? :)
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

I'll sign the log books if you teach me to do half of that lot first!
That just can't be to complete the CP is it? I'd never pass, seems to be getting a bit daft. I can't spiral dive, my heads not in it, never done a stall or a b line stall, most modern gliders say don't do it in the handbook. Thermal for 1000ft,,,,you'll be lucky!
If it's for the pilot exam,,,,,,slow down a bit guys, you've only just done your first flights,,,,that's the bit about a good attitude to a flying career, ambition is great, but this sport takes a long time to appreciate!

A little story......
Two years ago Ron Don said to me after a flight, "weren't the views stunning, what an honour to be able to fly up there" I ofcorse replied, (sure there's a song in that) yes. Truth was I'd seen nothing, I'd been to busy looking for the next km. For the first time this year (my 10th year flying), I know what he means truthfully and honestly. I'm happy flying, I'm comfortable on my wing, where I land and how far I go is irrelevant I just enjoy the views and the experiences we are lucky enough to be able to have.

Hope this makes sense, if not today, one day in the future.

Sure I'll sign your log books and help whenever I can.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Lol I know what you mean Brian there,s 3 manoeuvres in there from the SIV silly bus. Never the less it,s good to see the guys keen to better themselves.
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

I appreciate your comments Brian. There has been the odd moment when I've relaxed in my harness and marvelled at the wonderful view below and around me.

Alas such moments are as yet few and far between - I'm usually so focused on what my glider is (or isn't) doing and where I go and what I do next etc etc that I don't get much opportunity to enjoy the view yet.

Nevertheless, without doubt i enjoy the experience of free flight and I too feel very privileged to be a part of this most excellent sport - even a 5 min top to bottom still means alot to me.

It's interesting to read your comments about the pilots tasks though. These are in black and white in the task book provided by bhpa after passing CP. Quite rightly safety comes before anything else and we have it drummed into us at school - perhaps making us fledglings over cautious and too wary of XC - meaning we still feel in need of support, advice and reassurance in the club environment.

Would be good to compare old school training techniques with new school - maybe an idea for a talk at a club meeting?
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.