History of Nhpc and existing and new sites

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

Graeme
Chatty

History of Nhpc and existing and new sites

Post by Graeme »

I was out and about on me bike yesterday around Derwent reservoir and Edmonbyers but all the time my eye was on the sky, judging the wind (SE) and weather and wondering if there was anywhere nearby to fly.

So I started wondering about why there aren't any inland sites in co Durham? And that led to a series of other questions....

When and who discovered and tested out the current sites we use in the NE?
Are there places that have been tried out and deemed as unsuitable?
How were new sites found and what were you looking out for - safety, risks, access and permissions etc etc.

This then got me wondering about the history of Nhpc, founder members, site test pilots and the trials and errors they encountered.
Has every square mile of the NE been explored for sites?
With improved safety and performance of gliders is there any opportunities to discover new sites?

I'm sure there must be some interesting tales and insights to the above.
I've looked around on the website for answers to these questions but can't find anything.

With a handful of new members now at the club the history of Nhpc would be a really interesting subject we should perhaps all be familiar with so we can appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the clubs development.

Maybe an idea for a talk at a club meeting?
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

Sounds like a good idea to me & I know there are a few members in our club who have the ability to make this a great club night conversation.
I'd love to hear about our pioneers, our "have a go heroes", our crash test dummies...
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Aye tales like me and Ron Freeman driving up to the top of Ingram Valley to fly a new S.W. ridge called High Cantle We went up for 5am one morning as Ronnie had convinced me there would be early morning wave around. There wasn't and I don't think we used it again. Could be an excellent S.W for paragliding as it's a light wind site due to the other side of the valley being quite close. Maybe worth another look it wasn't much good for hang gliding.

:D
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
tony anderson
Mingling

Post by tony anderson »

I joined NHC in 1976 there were no Paragliders then ! I had set up the Uni hang gliding club ,and at that time as impoverished students with a clapped out Mini traveller Ben Ashman and I tried to find sites as close to Newcastle as possible . We used to fly off the North facing ridge on the Rothbury Powburn road ,easy access and nice landing area until they planted trees which are now about 30 feet tall !
Another site we used to fly was on the Ponteland road going North ,a few miles out past Belsay there is a rocky out crop which we had a few successful flights from ,but I believe now it's probably in NCL's airspace and is a place of historic interest due to rock carvings . John or Ronnie will remember lots of funny little sites that were tried but failed for one reason or another .
In those early days the wind was always on East Hill or Titlington Pike ,so you never needed anywhere else !
Or so it seemed .
Gordon C
Chatty

Post by Gordon C »

found a Northumbria hang gliding club site guide form 1987, a few site's not listed today, may bring back memories for some : Ewe Hill, Hedgehope, Biddlestone, Peg Law and High Cantle which has the comment, offers exciting flying to those with legs strong enough for the climb and nerves strong enough for the hazards! :!:
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Ha ha Brilliant and well done for finding this I,ve got records going back to 1976 3 years before I started when I was only 10 years old. I bet you didn't know the one and only time the British hang gliding league came to Northumberland they climbed and flew Ewe Hill a fcuk useless hill in Ingram Valley a sight to behold :)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
tony anderson
Mingling

Post by tony anderson »

You have made me feel very old now John !
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

I got the first for bamburgh castle :D :D :D :D
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Well all the archives and info so far is fascinating stuff. Would be great to hear and learn more.

The history of Nhpc sounds like a canny project.
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Tony you;re not old man :)

The Northerly Ridge you are referring to is Rimside Moor it was a canny flying site and handy to get to but as you say covered in trees now. Peg Law gets a mention that's another useless S.W. conical hill just over the border not far from Hownam. Hedgehope which is the second biggest hill in the Cheviots is a cracking easterly but was an absolute killer carrying a hangglider up it. I made enquirers only a couple of years ago to see if we could have access again but it was refused.

:)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Early days

Post by ron freeman »

Sept 1974 at the foot of Doddington hill I had convinced Eric Gibson & John Smith to give me a go of their home built hangglider the deal was 'bend it mend it' after a couple of minutes coaching they threw me off the hill (that's how it was done then !) a 10 second flight I slid 40yards on me butt it was magical !

Next flight much better 100yards with a stand up landing (pure luck, you could hardly steer these early models)

John Smith died in hospital after crashing on Doddington hill one of his wing wires had pulled through a bulldog clip ! these days we use nico press swages so wire failures are a thing of the past if maintained.

Most of our flying was done on West hill, East hill & Titlington pike.

My First flight on Titers ended up in the gauze bush at the bottom.. I would run straight back up to do the same flight again.. mad days.

1976 I walked up a hill called Ewe hill and flew down to Ingram valley full of holiday makers, tents and camps fires and received a standing ovation for not crashing and surviving ! great days.

1977 Yevering bell & Akeld these were great sites because you could soar in winds of 15mph this was much better then the normal 25-30mph..

1978 Heburn wood, Old Bewick & Rimside good sites

1979 Shillmoore (Bowl) Longknowe & Moneylaws great sites

1980 Crossfell & Allenheads big site and treat with respect

Coastal sites from 1980 Pease bay, Berwick upon tweed (Golf course) Bamburgh golf club, Bamburgh Castle, Seahouses, Goswick Dunes, Le-houton dunes, Alnmouth Dune, Walkworth Dunes, Duridge bay Dunes, Creswell Dunes, Newbiggin by the sea (needles eye) Seaton Sluice Dunes, Tynemoth priory, Marsdon grotto.

My first XC in Northumberland in 1978 was off West hill flying a Wills Wing XC, I landed short of Wittingham village. After de-rigging my glider I stuffed it under a hedge then walked back for the car. When I returned there was a policeman waiting for me with my helmet and harness in his hands and told me that they were looking for my horse and not to worry..

I explained what was going on then we all had a good laugh !

Many great memories.
Last edited by ron freeman on Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

You forget the time you tired to get me to take off at midnight and fly into the New Year and as it was a full moon you tried to tell me there would be moon thermals :roll:

I said what if the farmer catches us and you replied we'll just tell him we're a couple of idiots from North Yorkshire :D More like a couple of idiots from Northumberland :twisted:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

berow
Regular

Post by berow »

Ha ha great stories. Pmsl laughing at the moon thermals, great to hear our sky gods made mistakes too :wink:
Graeme
Chatty

Post by Graeme »

Moon thermals :D :D Brilliant!

Really interesting tales - and funny - but not without a sad story too!

Full on respect to all Nhpc founder members, pioneers and old sweat veterans!

We newbies certainly have a reputation to uphold and much to do if we are to come anywhere near your skills and expertise!
Livetrack Graeme52

Flying for Fun Only.
AngusB
Regular
Full Name: Angus Beardsmore

Post by AngusB »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Moon thermals! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Angus Beardsmore
Nova Mentor 5
Livetrack24: AngusB