SIV and all that.......

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

AlastairW
Regular

SIV and all that.......

Post by AlastairW »

Whilst out in Olu Deniz I spent some time talking to the current crop of pilots doing the SIV course. One with a red ribbon still attached to his glider, the other extreme being a pilot who regularily competes in the British Open Championships.

And also a guy called Stuart, who had lost his left hand whilst in the british army out in Bosnia. A truly inspirational person, who was not going to let a little thing like having no hand stop him from flying. He had designed his own cuff, with an attachment for an acro brake handle, and a hook to pull big ears. Absolutley amazing!

One thing that everyone mentioned was the brake range of their gliders, particularily whilst searching for the point of stall. On dhv 1 and 1/2 gliders you normally need your hands down below your waist before it will stall.

Not something that I would recomend practising on East Hill or the like. You must do it over water and with proper instruction.

Nobody would be stupid enough to search for the stall point without these conditions in place would they?
It is sad to measure your life in terms of hours flown...... but even sadder not to.........
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Nobody would be stupid enough to search for the stall point without these conditions in place would they?
Stalling a paraglider.....You've got to be mocking (lek?) Stalling any wing (on purpose) scares the shit out of me I'm quite happy to wait until I've got 6 grand over the water before finding out how far I can pull the bits of string.

I remember Gordie in training one day shouting at me to PULL MORE BRAKE going along the ridge. I can still remember thinking ***k Off I have a built in mechanism that wants me to fly with a large margin of speed. (Sorry Gordie just the way I am)
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

Good practise Stalling

Post by ron freeman »

Its very good practise stalling your glider... (HG) as long as the conditions are OK.. it keeps you sharp and alert on recognising all the symptoms for the day when you will need it.

Paragliding... I like to slow the wing down to a point where it starts to get sloppy and the brakes get heavy... again it keeps you sharp.

Anything that keeps you aware of the capabilites of yourself and your wing should be practised on a regular basis because one day you will need these skills to get you out of trouble !

Happy skillful flying.
Last edited by ron freeman on Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

Becoming awair of your paragliders speed range is one of the tasks for the C.P. rating. Every pilot should of searched for the stall point whilst under training and become awair of where it is.

Most paraglider pilots do not use anwhere near their full speed range and often fly round to fast especially if scratching or trying to slope land. Brakes are cruital for contronlling your speed at these points and helps your glider face away from the hill and fly slower. So Mr Wallis start using your brakes!! No girly excusess about worrying your wing might stall.

Finally DHV 1 and 1/2 wings are designed to be very stall resistance and will fly very slow, a good one like the Gin Bolero will basicly not stall even with full normal brake applied.

One area to be carefull though is taking wraps or adjusting your brake lines especially if flying a performance wing, as thus can lead to un- planned stalls and spins due to over correction durring instability. For example Gary had shortened the brakes on his Boomarang Sport by 2.5c.m. which potentailly could of been a major contributing factor to his accident as it is widley believed he was flying to slow if not at stall speed.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Not something that I would recommend practicing on East Hill or the like.
Once saw a '(finger) ' type bloke do just that on afore mentioned hill. The resultant vertical exit from the sky of about 10ft proved to be a very quick landing option. :^)
Just thought I'd check the brake travel on my glider and see where the stall point was as I was coming in to land
Oh, the games of the innocent! (angel) (angel) (whew)
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

bullshit bullshit bullshit, when you can practice top landing time and time again i know my stall point better than most will ever hope to know, its easy to blame something and someone , dead easy this way it will not happen again. wrong as it just did at the weekend. i was happy to talk about my accident or attempted suicide as others would like to tthink. but i think it has become to personal of an atack on my abuility and attitude, this i am groing very tired of. if you consider to be my freind then stop the personal comments as i dont need it. i am a big boy and accidents happen i do not go round blaming all and sundry for my actions. for instance why did he sell me that glider why did he guide me here, why why why. these accidents will happen time and time again no matter how much you discus them because gravity always winns, and paople will always get assymetrics close to the ground and as long as a glider collapses there will be accidents.

tell me this has any person after having completed an siv ever had a accident? i bet just as many paople doing siv have accidents as those who dont.

end of
gordie
Regular

Post by gordie »

I must of misunderstood what I read on the Paraglidingforum.com Gary, but I though you posted on there that you had shortened your brakes by 2.5c.m. if this is not the case then please accept my apologies. Sorry mate rummers are spread easily.
brian day
Regular

Post by brian day »

Garry, the little emoticon WAS NOT pointing upwards at your name, if it had been you, I would have said so, cause I know you can take it,,,,,usually! Pass your mouse over the emoticon in the emoticon choice box to see what the icon stands for, you may then realise who I am talking about! You were there at the time, standing right next to me and made comment about the action.

Now Chill my man and stop seeing criticism where it is not meant :*
As for the weekend, it must really bring home to you how fortunate you have been, be very grateful, climb back on the Happy Side (mm) cause Mr Angry don't suit you.
See you out there!!!!!

Surf crazed and dazed

Livetrack24 Nezzy01
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

i was not the one to put the post on paragliding forum steve etherington was via ali gutherie. i am not the one who nearly spun my glider.

if you think that by pointing the finger at the glider i flew and the fact that i had shortened the lines by 2.5cm is the cause of my accident fine.

we all call prevent accidents if we new the future but would you want to?

please remember i flew this glider with open eyes and was well aware of the greater risks associated with it, i did not fly it blindly. ask your self this. if i had been flying a dhv 1 that day i would of getting the same response.

my point was that this post was not anything to do with me yet my name was used as an example and i am not happy about.
ron freeman
Seasoned
Full Name: Ron Freeman CFI

gary ?

Post by ron freeman »

Gary, you never told to me that you had shortened your brake lines when I asked you about the flight in hospital....and why did you shorten them ?
Maximise your time & dosh do both Hanggliding & Paragliding :)