another year gone another ahead

General club enquiries, talk about any subject you like.

Moderator: Club Moderators

gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

another year gone another ahead

Post by gary stenhouse »

Well another year gone at a record breaking pace, with very little of my hopes and dreams fulfilled. The one thing I have began to learn in this sport and that is patience, as there is no fast track to the top. Yet I feel very satisfied at the same time, as I have learnt there is no point in beating yourself up if some one does a great flight if you were not on the same hill that day, or you can’t get away form work. I am enjoying my flying more and more and with the added joy of being able to fly hanglider.

I am sure that this year is going to be the one for the big one as well as some proper xc flying on the hanglider. The only problem we have is the lack of drive within the hangliding community to push the envelope, though I am just as guilty. This year could be the last for the mad dog to do the 100k flight that he has only dreamt of, so we need to make sure we give him the chance to pull it off. (Johns words not mine)

What can we expect to see this year? Well all I can ask for is to fly high fly safe and as long as I do better flying than I did this year then I will be happy. And of course I would like to do some of the pg comps as well as some of the hg comps.

So come on where do you all see your flying careers be this year?

Cheers Gary
John Wallis
Seasoned

Post by John Wallis »

Well been talking to Maltby and last year started the same as the year before....Very promising then it all went pear shaped at least the weather did when we were able to get out. It can't do this to us three years in a row....Can it?

I would like to beat Miskin and Guthrie this year...It's no good setting your targets easy is it they are just blokes like us. And if you hit the right conditions they are both beatable :shock:

Bring it on.............. :twisted:
Livetrack24 wannyjollis

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.”
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

But for hang gliders the goal is usually 100 miles Gary, not a measly 100k.......

Mind I'd be happy with either.
gary stenhouse
Superstar
Full Name: Gary Stenhouse

Post by gary stenhouse »

well you no i had a lot of thought and the truth is if i can get out on the right day with the right person i think a 100k will be well acheivable in mean on the rs that is only 2-3 hours flying.
Dave Hume
Chatty

Post by Dave Hume »

gary stenhouse wrote:well you no i had a lot of thought and the truth is if i can get out on the right day with the right person i think a 100k will be well acheivable in mean on the rs that is only 2-3 hours flying.
Could be much less Gary with a decent wind. I managed 43 miles (nearly 70k) from Cross Fell (once, many years ago) on my old Rumour which has a fraction of your RS's performance and from leaving the hill it took a bit more than an hour. It was the right day and it was pretty easy too.
gordie
Regular

Re: another year gone another ahead

Post by gordie »

gary stenhouse wrote: The one thing I have began to learn in this sport and that is patience, as there is no fast track to the top.
Hallelujah at last the penny has dropped :wink:

Look forward to hearing of your adventures next year Gary, good luck.

As for me well the 100 km barrier has still to be broken from a CSC site so if I can get a day off some time...........
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

This was going to be the first XC year for me, full of optimisim after 18k in March (I know, pathetic) in Spain.

But try as I might, I couldn't break the barrier :(

Two attempts at the Helvellyn milk run ended in the same field at Thirlspot twice in the same day (but at least the ice cream van was there) 8)

Another attempt ended with a walk up to, and back along, the ridge to Clough Head on a roasting hot day after the wind had switched North - that's when I decided to buy a lightweight harness :o

Eventually, fourth attempt, I managed Grasmere on a long shot that paid off :)

Highlights this year? Screaming thermals in Algodonales, the XC that would have made Ronda if only I'd had another 500ft at the crucial point, laughing at Wallis pinned at the back of Melmerby bowl before discovering that my speed bar had turned into a cat's cradle of knitting, flying Clough in amazing "mini wave" with thermals in November, and a beautiful fly-down in the snow from Skiddaw in December, with the mountain and the air to myself.

As for 2009, well I would like to do some decent XCs like the big boys do. But 50k would do for starters :twisted:

I feel better as soon as "days to winter solstice" has counted down to zero - not long now :P

2009 - bring it on, can't wait :D :D :D
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.
Kitt Rudd
Chatty

Post by Kitt Rudd »

Davehorne wrote:This was going to be the first XC year for me, full of optimisim after 18k in March (I know, pathetic) in Spain.

But try as I might, I couldn't break the barrier :(

Two attempts at the Helvellyn milk run ended in the same field at Thirlspot twice in the same day (but at least the ice cream van was there) 8)

Another attempt ended with a walk up to, and back along, the ridge to Clough Head on a roasting hot day after the wind had switched North - that's when I decided to buy a lightweight harness :o

Eventually, fourth attempt, I managed Grasmere on a long shot that paid off :)

Highlights this year? Screaming thermals in Algodonales, the XC that would have made Ronda if only I'd had another 500ft at the crucial point, laughing at Wallis pinned at the back of Melmerby bowl before discovering that my speed bar had turned into a cat's cradle of knitting, flying Clough in amazing "mini wave" with thermals in November, and a beautiful fly-down in the snow from Skiddaw in December, with the mountain and the air to myself.

As for 2009, well I would like to do some decent XCs like the big boys do. But 50k would do for starters :twisted:

I feel better as soon as "days to winter solstice" has counted down to zero - not long now :P

2009 - bring it on, can't wait :D :D :D
Dave flying is not all about distance but collecting up experiences as is sounds like you got a fair few more in 2008 dispite the weather.

Did I really say that about distance - Heres to 2009 and some more great airtime experiences
Kitt
Air-Play Serving the Lake District, Northumbria and Scotland.
Agents for Gradient, Digifly Instruments, and Ava Sport Harnesses & Reserves 07811642533
Checkout the new Digifly Air (coming soon)http://air-play1.blogspot.com/
Davehorne
Chatty

Post by Davehorne »

Absolutely right Kitt! I certainly enjoyed 2008, no complaints, and if XCs come, so much the better, so again BRING ON 2009 yee hah :D
Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.